Saturday, October 16, 2010

Signifantly Over-Qualified?

I hate the process of resume building, cover letter writing and job searching.  I am becoming a very adept user of monster.com, craigslist and usajobs.gov.  It’s embarrassing at times when I force myself to mention to my various contacts the fact that I am looking and ask if they would share any positions they may become aware of.  (What the hell, it’s my blog and I can end a sentence with a preposition if I want to.)  I am feeling extremely stressed and crazed.  I hate being overwhelmed and feeling I may not get to where I want to go.  It doesn’t help that I am still not sure where it is I want to go.  I thought once I began to send out my resume and actually apply for work that I would feel more relaxed -- feel like I was moving forward.  Not so much.  Trying to choose which positions to apply for is taxing.  After weeks of working on this endeavor, I finally sent my resume out in application of a position I thought I was perfect for.  They sent me a very nice email congratulating me on my accomplishments and that they would love to have someone with my expertise working for them but unfortunately I am "significantly over-qualified." Huh? I don’t understand.  Is that the professional way to say thanks but no thanks?  I don’t get it.  If they think I am more than qualified, why not give me an interview.  Do they only interview those with exact or less qualifications?  I have been sighing all day following reading that email.  Not even an interview.  I am so disappointed, rejection sucks no matter what the reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment